Hey Hon, how do you spell...

First off it's important that you know that I have dyslexia, which wasn't diagnosed until I was well into my 20's.  That said, I can't spell.  What's rather odd is that I love words and English.  I used to say "I spell atrociously", but then my bride pointed out that actually I can't.

Now there it is.  I just had to yell to my wife in the other room "Hey Hon, how do you spell atrociously?"

Just this past Sunday we celebrated 29 years of marriage, or as she calls it "23 happy years of marriage".

There it is again.  "Hey Hon, how do you spell Marriage?"

Yes, I do have spell check on MSWord, and it's true that Blogger also has a spell checker, but let me let you in on a secret:  When you don't know how to spell a word in the first place, and your dyslexic, being presented a spell checker-provided list of spelling options is just an invitation to selecting a very inappropriate word!

Want another example?  OK, how about this one.  One day I sent an email to EVERYONE at my work  which began "Dear Colleagues".    A few minutes my Bro-Worker Mike stops by my desk and says, "So, did you blind copy a few colleges on that email?"  Huh?   That's, spell check suggested "colleges" for my sorry attempt at colleagues.

BTW, I just yelled "Hey Hon, how do you spell college?"

No comments:

Post a Comment