That Thing I Do

This is a post that I've been sitting on for a while.  It's not out of shame, but rather it's that I've learned not to spring this on people too soon.  So here it is: I like the movie "That Thing You Do!".

I suppose that isn't an shocking admission, seeing what a great movie it is and all, but my admission isn't over yet.

You know that movie or TV show that no matter where in the storyline you happen to stumble across with the the remote you can stop and enjoy it?  For most guys it's The Godfather, or Rocky, or Showgirls, but for me it's "That Thing You Do!".

The screenplay was written by Tom Hanks on the advice of his manager.  As the story goes Tom was on the road promoting his new movie Forrest Gump, and all the good press was starting to go to his head.  His manager suggested that if he really wanted to be humbled he should try writing a screenplay.  He even wrote one of the cheesy songs (Lovin' You Lots and Lots).  It currently has a 92% fresh rating at Rotten Tomatoes.

If you haven't seen it you owe it to yourself to check it out.  It's snappy.

Oh yeah, it annoys my wife.

1 comment: