Calling my phone my "Dingleberry"

Let's get this out of the way up front: Yes, I understand that the term "Dingleberry" is not a pleasant one.  Read on.

Way back in 2002 I was asked by the head of our IT department to be a Beta tester of the latest Blackberry.  I'm sure he wasn't even finished asking before I said YES!  For several years I had been carrying both a cell phone and a PDA, and quite frankly I was starting to feel a bit like Captain Kangaroo every morning and night as I loaded and unloaded my pockets.

Everything went great for about three month, when one of the IT guys (Sean) stops by my desk and said "I'm here for your Blackberry".   Let me tell you, they don't call it a "Crackberry" for nothing.

I was given my old Motorola StarTac phone and was told I should sync my PDA to my laptop before they deactivated the Blackberry, just in case data gets lost.   So, I dug through my desk drawers, my computer bag and several boxes that had migrated under my desk until I finally found my sync cable and docking station.   And then it happened.  The ActiveSync softwear asked me what I though was "Do you want to replace the data on the Handheld with the date from the PC".  I click YES, and the next thing I knew I had a newly restored PC with 3 month old data!  No big deal.  I'll just track down Sean and ask him to resync the Blackberry to the server and I'll be good as new. 

After the appropriate secret door knock (The open movement from "The Imperial March" (Darth Vador's Theme) I enter in time to see Sean with a straightened paperclip jammed into a small hole in the bottom of the Blackberry!  Noooooooooooo! 

It was then that I adopted the name "Dingleberry" for my old PDA, and all wanna-be Blackberry smart phones that have come since.

Trust me, there's more.

No comments:

Post a Comment